Copyright © 6 Weeks of My Life
Design by Dzignine
Thursday, April 04, 2013

I am a SLUT & a 5K Runner!

Yesterday was the first ever Slut Walk Miami at Florida International University... And it was also the opening of registration for the Electric Run in Miami!

I've been pretty excited about both things, especially since I recently talked about the Steubenville Rape case and my current 6 Week Fitness Challenge

I'm glad I could be a part of the Slut Walk and I can't wait to run in the Electric Run, my first ever 5K!

The Slut Walk idea is very inspirational. Rape has been a common topic recently. And it's been really upsetting seeing our culture turn against human rights. 

I've seen so many comments on many different social media websites talking about how 'if a girl dresses slutty, she deserves to get raped'. Ummm... No? Everyone has a right to wear whatever they please. Just because they dress a certain way doesn't mean they consent to anything. 

I'll be honest... I personally think to myself "she's a slut" when I see a 14 year old girl at Ultra Music Festival with a thong and her nipple pasties falling off, but damn I would never want to see her life turned around because someone chose to take advantage of her and her body. It's irresponsible to be out drinking and doing drugs, especially around people like that, but that still doesn't give anyone the right to abuse a human being like that.

I don't understand how this topic is two-sided really. It's human rights. Just let people do what they want to do, as long as they don't harm anyone. A half-naked girl doesn't harm anyone. A guy raping a girl definitely does. 

I would rather see this half-naked girl being helped. Someone go up and tell her, "put your shirt on, stop drinking, sober up, stop taking those pills people offer you."

Sadly there's just irresponsible and cruel people in this world, and there's nothing we can do about it. If we really want to have good morals and values, then we would protect the people that have been harmed. Siding with rape victims, or even just raising awareness... That's how we can help. How can we say we stand united, yet exile those who have been harmed or have done nothing wrong?

Another way we can help? Stop crying wolf. Girls, if you haven't been raped, then don't cry rape. That's probably why not a lot of people believe or support the real rape victims. Or let's just put it simple: Don't lie. Be true to yourself and to the public. I know a few girl friends that have been molested or raped, and they're too scared to speak up about it. And even if they did speak out, no one would believe them. It's really heart-breaking... I hope this situation gets better for those girls.

I can go on and on about this, but I'll let you guys have your fun researching the horrible comments I've found. Not for the weak-hearted, trust me.

Now a little bit about the Electric Run: 

It's basically a 5K walk or run at night-time, surrounded by a glowing course, glowing objects, and glowing people with glow sticks and glow in the dark decor... And did I mention the Electronic Music? 

I am soooo excited. Mainly because it's my first 5K run ever. But also because I'll be running with my boyfriend and friends. Oh, and at the end of the run, it will be like much smaller version of Ultra Music Festival, featuring an electronic music concert :) 

If you live in Miami, here's how you can join me in this run:

During registration, join Team Serenity (Sarmiento), the password is "kat" in all lowercase.

It's $5 off registration if you're in a team of 4 or more, and there's also a couponcode "MIAVIP" that gives you $5 off the entire registration. These two discounts end April 11th. The registration cost gets more expensive as it gets closer ($65 registration the day of the race), so sign up ASAP! :) If you want an invitation to the team, please leave a comment or fill out a contact form with your email. The race in Miami is November 23rd, 2013.

Love you all.

Kat <3

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, please leave your comment below :)