Copyright © 6 Weeks of My Life
Design by Dzignine
Saturday, April 13, 2013

Kat's Top 6 - Ways to Handle Depression

Aside from showcasing my new baby blue sunny nails (play along with me here, I need something cute and happy in my life haha), I'm going to give you my top 6 ways to handle depression that I use every single day.

It gets to a point where you don't want to let this feeling take control over you anymore. You want control over your feelings and your life... And you need to get out and do something with yourself before you dig yourself a deeper grave.

If you have any other suggestions aside from the ones I'm about to give, please feel free to email me or comment on this blog post :) All help is greatly appreciated during these times.

6 - Scream, Shout, & Let it ALL Out

I have developed the habit of crying for maybe about five minutes, and then stopping. Mainly because I've always been told to stop crying about things like death and loss and whatever else would be troubling me. I've learned to do so immediately on command, or even just after a few minutes of crying on my own.

The problem is this: I've basically stunted my grieving process completely. It's a very hard habit to get over, but it's possible... So I'm telling you now: Cry it all out. Punch your pillow. Scream into it. Let it all out while you're still feeling it. 

Just get it out of your system ASAP. Don't stop until you feel like you've let it all out, every last bit of pain.

5 - Find Your Hobby

If you like different outlets aside from crying and screaming, you can try singing to your favorite music at the top of your lungs, or actually playing an instrument or writing poems and such.

A lot of people create beautiful things at moments of deep sorrow. So pick up a hobby, even if it's crafting or nail art (that's my hobby at the moment) or whatever you enjoy. Get to that inner part of you that you're scared of opening up, and let it out through your talents and creation.

4 - Distractions Are Your Best Friends

Use your hobby to take your mind off of things for while. Find something to do outside of your bedroom, off of your bed, out of your sheets, away from your pillow. Out of the darkness. Go outside, get some sun (it helps a lot, trust me). Or just open your window and get that fresh air and sunlight into your room.

You don't want to distract yourself from your problems per se, but you don't want to sit there and let yourself get worse than you already are. You'll fix your problems, but just not right now. 

3 - Never Act On Your Emotions

This is the number one mistake I do. I get depressed or stressed out and anxious, and I always act and react to people and things that happen.

If something is bugging you, or someone is pushing your buttons during this time, just tell them "I need a time out." Go out and get away from it. Let your mind and emotions calm down a bit before you act on impulse. 

Especially if you're depressed, this impulse may be suicide... 

2 - Suicide? Don't Do It. 

There's other solutions other than suicide. 

Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't do it. DON'T DO IT.

It's not the answer. It won't help with anything. It won't fix it. We want you here, on this earth, alive and breathing and well.

There's people that love you. Look around and look hard. They're there, you just need to open your eyes and realize that everyone, in some way, is trying to help you and look out for you.

Even if you think they're the worst beings ever, they hurt you everyday, they cause you pain and suffering and they're never there for you... Think of it this way: They're teaching you something. They're teaching you how to be strong and how to be kind to others. They're teaching you that you deserve something way better, and you need to work for it.

1 - Don't Give Up

You want to be happy? You need to let go of the past, stop worrying about the future, and work on making today the best it can possibly be.

Someone hurt your feelings today? Whatever. No one can ruin your day without your permission. Don't let it affect you.

You're depressed? Get out. Follow these steps. Do something other than sit around all day moping about your life.

No pity parties allowed. Embrace your good features and work on those that you don't like. If you really don't like something, you can change it, whether it's about yourself or a situation.

And most of all, don't give up. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. You can do it if you set your mind to it and stick with it. You can accomplish anything. Tell yourself that every morning, and really feel like you can. 

Love yourself, because you'll never be able to love anyone or anything until you love yourself first. I know it's better if someone is telling you on a daily basis, "you're beautiful, amazing, perfect, wonderful, etc" but just tell it to yourself because it's true. You were put in this world for a reason, don't leave before you fulfill it. Don't let yourself think you're anything less than what you really are: a unique human being. You are you, and don't let anyone change that or affect that negatively. We all make mistakes from time to time. Let it go and love yourself.

And if you really feel down, just read this blog over and over again. You're beautiful. You're amazing. You can do anything you set your mind to. 

Email me as well. I have a lot of pen pals that I've met over at LifeKraze that have helped me out, and I am definitely willing to help out anyone that needs a hand :)

Love you all.

Kat <3

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kat,

    You're #1 is the best one! Never give up :)Actually, I like all of them and it leads back to your #1. Thanks for sharing this at the Show Off Blog Party :). Stop by again next week to "share" some more!

    Jessica
    The Wondering Brain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I really like them too, and it's taken years of failing and getting advice to rack these things up and use them for myself and share them with others <3

      Delete
  2. Kat! Great post. Thank you so much for linking up at the Show Off Blog party. You have so much clarity ~ I wish I was more clear at your age....keep it up! I'm totally following you.... :)

    Jules
    A Dose of Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you! I love these blog hops, I get to find a lot of new and interesting blogs :) thank you for following! <3

      Delete
  3. Kat,
    This is a great post! I love your honesty. This should be required reading for all teens (and their moms!)~ so many people just don't know what to do and you seem to have a really great plan whether you are 14 or 40...You hooked a follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you. I wish I knew back then the things I know now. A lot would've been different and possibly better, but I don't regret anything at all <3

      It's hard to figure out anything, especially if you're depressed or someone close to you is depressed. It's just complicated and difficult to deal with. I hope I can help a little bit to anyone else that deals with the same thing, so thank you for following my blog :) It means a lot <3

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you, please leave your comment below :)